You’re lounging in your home, all cozied up, reading a book or watching a movie, and you suddenly turn around to see your door opening by itself.
This seems like a scene out of a horror movie, doesn’t it?
As spooky and otherworldly it seems, a door often opens by itself due to a technical or mechanical error. So, before you jump to the conclusion that there are ghosts in your house, it would be a wise idea to understand why a door would open on its own and how you can fix it.
The most common cause for a door opening by itself is an issue related to its placement in the frame or the door’s hinges. Sometimes, it may be as simple as blowing wind or pressure changes within the house. So, there’s nothing to worry about and the problem is mostly fixable.
If you’ve been facing this issue and want to learn how to fix it, then keep reading this article.
We’re an affiliate: We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Common Reasons A Door Opens On Its Own
Let’s take a look at some of the most possible explanations for a door that has opened by itself.
Wind or weather
It is quite likely that the blowing wind is causing your door to open by itself, especially if there is a draft. In this scenario, you should be able to hear and feel the wind too.
According to the law of physics, it is more likely for your door to open itself when you close another door or window in a small space. Pressure waves can transmit like this when there is little distance.
However, this should not happen frequently as the pressure waves are usually still not that strong.
A problem with the door
Is your door properly installed? Is it properly maintained? The door should be accurately positioned and completely vertical during its installation. Otherwise, its own weight may cause it to swing and open by itself.
Plus, it should be perfectly aligned with the door frame. Otherwise, it will have a slight tilt to it which may be causing the issue.
A problem with the hinges
One of the most common reasons for a door opening by itself is loose, damaged, or improperly installed hinges. You can fix these by yourself at home.
How To Stop A Door From Opening On Its Own
Once you have assessed the situation and have some idea about what may be causing the problem, you can try some solutions. You will need some basic tools and time to sit down and perform this repair.
- Examine the door and get into position: Start by closing the door and taking a good look at the hinges. In this repair, we are assuming that the problem lies in the hinges.
- Insert the shim: Now, slide a shim carefully at the exact point between the jamb and the door. You have to insert it on the opposite side of the top hinges.
- Remove the pin from the hinge on top: Now, hold a nail against the base of the pin located at the bottom part of the hinge. Then, use a hammer to tap it upwards until the pin is removed from the hinge.
- Straighten the pin: Now, check the removed pin and see if it is straight. If it’s not straight, put it on the edge of a flat and sturdy surface and tap it with a hammer until it is straight again.
- Place the pin back: Tap the pin back into place using a hammer. Now test the door again and see if it still opens by itself. If the problem is still there, repeat the process with the bottom hinge and its pin.
- Adjust the hinges: If the problem is still there, try adjusting the hinges. To do this, loosen the screws so you can slide in the shim between the door frame and bottom hinge.
- Tighten the screws: Using a screwdriver, tighten the screws of all the hinges. To finish the job, turn the screwdriver in a clockwise direction.
After you’ve tightened the screws, consider your job complete. It is time to test the door again.
If the problem still persists despite all your efforts, there may be some other issue with the door. In this situation, a professional repairman would be able to assess and solve the problem.
How Do You Fix A Door That Opens With Wind?
Sometimes, there may not be any technical issue with the door and the wind may be the main culprit.
Here are some solutions if you’ve figured out that the wind is causing your door to open on its own:
- Door Closer: An automatic door closer pulls the door shut whenever it is opened. You can use a shock absorber or cushion to keep it from slamming shut. We recommend this door closer.
- Screen/Storm Door Chain: A wind chain can also be effective for preventing the wind from blowing your door open.
- Realign the Door: Call in a professional to fix any misalignment in the door.
- Reverse the Swing of the Door: This will make it hard for the wind to open your door as its main mechanism will be reversed.
Doors are not tricky to handle or repair. As you now know, fixing this problem should not be a daunting task and almost anyone can do it. As mentioned earlier, the most common reason for the issue is a problem with the hinges or hinge pins which are super easy to fix.
However, if the problem is arising from an improperly installed door then a professional can do it best. In some cases, you may even have to completely replace your door. We hope this article was informative and that you can now add another DIY repair to your skills. Best of luck!