Are you wondering if door handles are reversible?
Yes, some door handles are reversible. Reversible door handles are designed to fit on either side of a door, making them versatile and easy to install. This means that you can use the same handle on both left and right-handed doors.
Reversible door handles are especially useful when you are replacing an old handle or installing a new one. By choosing a reversible handle, you can avoid the hassle of determining which side the handle needs to be installed on.
This can save you time and effort, as well as ensure that the handle is installed correctly. Additionally, reversible handles can be a great option if you are unsure which way your door will swing, as they can be easily adjusted to fit either direction.
We’re an affiliate: We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Thank you if you use our links, we really appreciate it!
Are Door Handles Reversible?
The good news is that many door handles are reversible.
Sometimes, you may want to reverse the direction of your door handle. Maybe you just installed a new handle and realized it’s facing the wrong way, or maybe you want to switch the handle from one side of the door to the other. Here’s what you need to know:
How to Tell if Your Door Handle is Reversible
Before you attempt to reverse your door handle, you need to make sure it’s actually possible. Check the handle for a small hole on the side of the collar. If you see one, then your handle is likely reversible. If you don’t see a hole, then your handle may not be reversible, or it may require a different method to reverse it.
Benefits Of A Reversible Door Handle
The main benefit of a reversible door handle is its versatility. You can install it on either a left or right-handed door, making it a great choice for any home.
Additionally, reversible door handles are available in a variety of styles and finishes, so you can choose the one that best matches your decor.
How to Install A Reversible Door Handle
If you’ve purchased a reversible door handle, you may be wondering how to install it. Fortunately, the process is straightforward and can be completed with just a few tools. In this section, we’ll provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to install reversible door handles.
Before you begin, make sure you have the following tools:
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
- Pin tool (included with some door handles)
- Remove the old door handle: Start by removing the old door handle. Use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the screws on the plate covering the latch. Once the plate is removed, you should be able to see the screws holding the handle in place. Remove these screws and gently pull the handle away from the door.
- Remove the latch: The latch is the mechanism that keeps the door closed. Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the screws holding the latch in place. Once the screws are removed, you should be able to gently pull the latch out of the door.
- Install the new latch: Take the new latch and insert it into the hole in the door. Make sure the latch is facing the correct direction (the curved part of the latch should be facing towards the door frame). Use the screws provided to secure the latch in place.
- Install the new strike plate: The strike plate is the metal plate that the latch clicks into when the door is closed. Hold the new strike plate up to the door frame and trace around it with a pencil. Use a chisel to carve out the area where the strike plate will sit. Once the area is carved out, screw the strike plate into place.
- Install the new door handle: Take the new door handle and insert the pin tool into the small hole on the side of the handle. This will release the handle from the base. Once the handle is released, you can remove the pin tool and gently separate the handle from the base.
- Swap the handles: Take the handle that you just removed and swap it with the other handle. This will ensure that the handles are facing the correct direction. Once you have swapped the handles, insert the pin tool back into the hole and jiggle the handle into place.
- Secure the handle: Use the screws provided to secure the handle to the door. Make sure the screws are tight, but not so tight that they strip the threads.
How to Reverse An Existing Door Handle
If your door handle has a hole on the side of the collar, then reversing it is usually a simple process. You’ll need a pin tool, a paperclip, or a nail to release the handle. Here are the steps:
- Insert the pin tool into the hole on the side of the collar.
- Firmly press the pin tool to release the handle.
- Once the handle is released, remove it from the door.
- Flip the handle over so that it faces the opposite direction.
- Reinsert the handle into the door.
- Test the handle to make sure it’s working properly.
Schlage Reversible Door Handles
Some manufacturers, like Schlage, have designed their door handles to be reversible. If you have a Schlage door handle, you can follow these steps:
- Insert the key into the lock.
- Push the lock button on the inside of the door.
- Use a flat-head screwdriver to remove the lever from the base.
- Flip the lever over so that it faces the opposite direction.
- Reattach the lever to the base.
- Test the handle to make sure it’s working properly.
Styles and Colors of Reversible Door Handles
When it comes to choosing a reversible door handle, you have a wide variety of styles and colors to choose from. In this section, we will discuss some of the popular styles and colors of reversible door handles.
There are many different styles of door handles to choose from, including traditional, modern, and contemporary. Here are some of the most popular styles of reversible door handles:
- Lever handles: Lever handles are one of the most popular styles of door handles. They are easy to use and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Lever handles are available in both traditional and modern styles.
- Knob handles: Knob handles are another popular style of door handles. They are available in a variety of shapes and sizes and are often used on interior doors.
- Handlesets: Handlesets are a type of door handle that includes a deadbolt and a handle. They are often used on exterior doors and are available in a variety of styles and finishes.
When it comes to choosing a color for your reversible door handle, you have many options to choose from. Here are some of the most popular colors for reversible door handles:
- Satin nickel: Satin nickel is a popular choice for reversible door handles. It has a sleek, modern look and is easy to clean.
- Matte black: Matte black is another popular color for reversible door handles. It has a bold, modern look and is a great choice for contemporary homes.
- Antique brass: Antique brass is a classic choice for reversible door handles. It has a warm, traditional look and is often used in older homes.
- Oil-rubbed bronze: Oil-rubbed bronze is a popular choice for reversible door handles. It has a rich, dark finish and is often used in traditional and rustic homes.
In conclusion, reversible door handles are a convenient and practical solution for homeowners who want the flexibility to switch the handing of their door handles without having to replace the entire unit.
With reversible door handles, you can easily switch the orientation of the handle to fit either a left-handed or right-handed door, making it a versatile option for any home.
When choosing a reversible door handle, it is important to consider factors such as the type of lock mechanism, the finish and style of the handle, and the overall durability and quality of the product. Some popular brands that offer reversible door handles include Schlage, Kwikset, and Baldwin.
It is also important to note that reversible door handles are not suitable for all types of doors, such as double doors or sliding doors. In these cases, it may be necessary to purchase specific left-handed or right-handed handles designed for those types of doors.